Writing With Clarity
UPLIFT Writing provides students with the tools they need to excel in academic writing. We also support graduating students and their families to develop outstanding application essays. Plan to UPLIFT your child today!
What makes UPLIFT WRITING different?
- Highly individualized – emergent curriculum tailored to child
- Focus on thinking – students practice critical thinking before, during, and after writing
- Messy and collaborative – students’ ideas are validated; they are encouraged to guess, to make mistakes, and to visually map ideas
- Intrinsic motivation – students are inspired to be lifelong writers with publication as a goal
- Session reports – detailed list of learning objectives covered and suggestions for home practice
Why UPLIFT WRITING for the application essay process?
- Supportive – Provides peace of mind for families and students at any stage of the essay writing process
- Empowering – focuses on conveying fit between the student and school based on school’s mission and individual strengths
- Experienced – decades teaching the genre of personal narrative and coaching families through the application essay
- Lifelong passion for education – helps families and students achieve their academic goals
Testimonials for Uplift Writing
Holly has helped a lot with my writing. She always helps me in a kind and fun way. She is helping me analyze my favorite series of books, Harry Potter. We do a lot of fun things, and Holly helps explain things in drawings, charts, and words. She also helped me prepare for writing a story based on a picture for my SSAT last Winter.
Working with Holly is a joy because she always has really funny and creative ideas. She’s always supporting me if I have a concern. I really enjoy having her help me on my journey to become a better writer.
I was helping Isaac with edits to a paragraph for his Language Arts class this weekend and he said ‘I think I am becoming a better writer!’ He was really proud of himself. This was so wonderful to hear, as before he had had thoughts that he was not a good writer. Thank you so much for helping with Isaac’s confidence as a writer in just a few sessions. We are so grateful!
“Support for writing and critical thinking is a rare find outside the classroom setting. When I heard that Holly was teaching children how to think and write analytically, I jumped at the opportunity for my children. In her class, Holly guides the children through questions and reflection on poems, prose, and visual texts. She focuses initially on critical thinking, which is paramount to good writing. It is incredible to watch the children’s growth process as Holly hones their analytic skills–it is like flexing a single muscle slowly in repetition until it becomes stronger. I participated in one of my children’s classes, and after working with Holly for only a month, the children’s analysis of Robert Frost’s “Design” poem was far deeper than my own. I felt like I was in the Fall quarter, an awe-struck freshman back in college at Stanford, discussing the Iliad for the very first time. It took me until age 19 to understand how to write and think well. These children will have the opportunity to practice advanced critical thinking and writing in middle school and high school!”
Working with Holly enabled me to focus on the concepts and essence of what I wanted to convey in writing about Eva and our family – providing support around the tension in me surrounding the mechanics of writing and the translation of concepts into ‘just the right words.’ Holly was supportive, encouraging, and listened closely to what we shared while also coaching us to more deeply bring out what was important to be shared. She then helped us craft a beautifully written narrative, bringing our daughter and family ‘alive’ on paper.
The essays were more fun and faster to complete and it worked! I would recommend it for other kids.